Monday 14 September 2009

Mission accomplished

I successfully completed my five-day fast and vigils on Friday, at 4pm; when the arms fair was due to close. Sorry I didn't manage to update this blog during the fast, as intended.

Not as many people joined me as I 'd hoped; in fact I was on my own most of the time, despite my various appeals for support. This was a disappointment and sometimes left me feeling isolated and vulnerable, particularly on those occasions when the police gave me grief. But I came through it anyway and did not deviate from my programme.

Special thanks must go to those who did come out to support me (not all of whom managed to find me): Silvia and Jon from the World March for Peace and Nonviolence UK co-ordination team, Hilary from Kingston Peace Council, Shaun, the two Ians and Cynthia from London CAAT, Lesley and Erica from Trident Ploughshares, Rhiannon from Croydon CND, Lyn from Glastonbury, Maggie, Roy, Charlie and Charity. Thanks also to everyone who supported me in other ways, such as by sending a donation or a message of support or publicising the action.

Many thanks to film-maker "da100thmonkey" for her short video interview of me talking about the fast, which you can view here:
http://current.com/items/90905344_dan-viesnik-international-arms-trade-hunger-strike.htm

A more detailed report and photos of the week will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment